Monday, September 19, 2011

Review: Captain America (Volume 1): The Death of Captain America - The Death of the Dream


Captain America (Volume 1): The Death of Captain America - The Death of the Dream
Captain America (Volume 1): The Death of Captain America - The Death of the Dream by Ed Brubaker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Following directly on the heals of Civil War, the three books of the Captain America: The Death of Captain America series begins with Cap's assassination and follows the hunt for his killers, to the very end where the whole plot is revealed.

This, being the novel in which Cap was actually assassinated, was the most heart-wrenching for me. And I say that being a DC fan who hasn't read a lot of Captain America. But I do know enough of this icon for it to hit home. I was unfamiliar with many of the players in the game, but it didn't take much reading to get me up to speed (which, in my mind, is a good thing for graphic novels dealing with something as world-shaking as this). The story was able to engage me fully and I had a hard time not picking up the next one immediately because I needed to fall asleep.

Though for all that the story itself was a great read, the best part for me was reading the introduction. It told of how Cap's death came about and how they were able to keep this a secret until the books were released. It was a great view into the minds of those behind this momentous decision.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining Me in Reading