Friday, June 4, 2021

Review: Once & Future, Vol. 2: Old English

Once & Future, Vol. 2: Old EnglishOnce & Future, Vol. 2: Old English by Kieron Gillen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Old English continues on from where The King is Undead left off. Duncan is getting more secure in his monster hunting skills and, sad to say, it's becoming a bit old hat for him. Rose is getting more used to her role as researcher and Bridgette.... well, Bridgette is still as sassy and spunky as ever. This set of stories take us from straight Arthurian legend into another tale of old - Beowolf. And it is one heck of a ride.

I'm not as familiar with the Beowolf legend as I am with Arthurian legend, but I didn't feel that my lack of knowledge took anything away from the story. The story was written well enough that I didn't feel the lack of knowledge because the relevant bits were woven into the story. It was fun seeing the ways that Duncan and Bridgette had to change the stories slightly in order to prevail (as well as getting a chance to see what happens when her Home life and her monster fighting collide).

For me, though, the best part was seeing the change in Elaine. Rather than being all in for her story, she is starting to see that maybe she wasn't making all the right choices. Of course, she's also being used as well, and I'm very curious to see if she is able to fully pull away from the Court and side with Team Monster Hunter. I'm definitely invested in the story.

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the next trade paperback. My library has the individual comics that have been issued before this but I'm trying hard to hold out.

This book covers issues #7-12. For my review of the first volume, see here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining Me in Reading