Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Review: Norse Mythology, Volume 1

Norse Mythology, Volume 1Norse Mythology, Volume 1 by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll be up front. I am a HUGE fan of anything that Neil Gaiman puts on paper, whether it be graphic novels, novels, non-fiction, television, radio or movie. Just let me at a Neil Gaiman piece and I'll be sure to enjoy it.

That said, I haven't read everything he's written. The novel Norse Mythology has been on my list for awhile but never seems to get read with all the other things I end up having on my shelves. So when I saw the graphic novel, and knew that I would be able to read it fairly quickly, I decided to pick it up.

I will admit to having a slight disconnect as I started reading because I've been watching a lot of MCU lately, so I had to retool my head to the non-cinematic view of the Asgardians. But the stories were so deftly told and the artwork so wonderfully rendered that I soon left Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth behind. The stories themselves were not ones I was familiar with, but I've read enough Norse Mythology (usually thanks to Neil) that I have an idea of the voices and tones of the different characters. And in every case, they matched up. Loki was as oily and tricky as expected. Thor was as brash and bold. Freya was exactly the type of haughty, "Men can't control me!" that I was expecting.

I'm hoping that they will do a volume two because I would love to see more of these renderings, immerse myself in more of these stories. Because if there's one thing I never doubt Neil can do, that is tell a great story.

View all my reviews